Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Blast From The Past

Mom & I were eating dinner at Jason's Deli tonight. This girl walks up to me and asked if my name was Sam. I looked at her questioningly and said "yes". She said, "I am Heather Gilbert." I was SHOCKED. I did not recognize her AT ALL. It was so awesome to get to see her. We were BEST FRIENDS in middle school.
She is living in Arlington with her husband who is a firefighter in Fort Worth. Here are a couple of pictures of us from way back then. The first two pictures were taken in front of our duplex in 1989. I don't want to hear any comments about my lack of fashion sense. I hadn't become my fabulous self at this point in my life. :)
The thing I remember most about our friendship is that we both LOVED New Kids on the Block and Donnie was our favorite. We went to a concert together in 1990. Here is a picture of us being to super cool and having a RAD time at the concert.
Ok, so we LOVED NKOTB. We both collected the trading cards and both of our sets were almost complete. We were each only missing ONE card. The card was #10. Every package we would open we would look for a #10. I was going over to her house for something, I think it was an end of the year party for 5th grade at Dixie but I didn't go to Dixie but since it was at Heather's house I was invited anyways. I started 5th grade at Dixie but moved to Chapel Hill in the middle of the school year. ANYWAYS. We got to Heather's house and I was opening a new package of trading cards and there it was #10. I couldn't believe it. I was so excited. I jumped out of the car screaming at Heather. I couldn't believe I had found the card before she did. It was a picture of NKOTB in tuxedos. I can't believe that I actually remember that. I know Heather got a #10 very soon after I did. I think it was later that night, actually.
Whenever I would go stay the night we would hang out at her dad's office. She had the coolest stuff. I loved going over there because she had a real arcade game that you didn't have to put quarters in to play. I vaguely remember so sort of pillow fold-y thing that was really awesome too but that was a long time ago.
I am not really sure why we stopped being friends. I think after I moved we just kind of drifted apart. If I had to guess, we were in completely different cliques when we were in high school. I am guessing she was a socialite at Lee and we all know I was a band geek at Chapel Hill. Oh well... at least we found each other again and who knows where this friendship might lead...

0 comments: