Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Nice Surprise

Normally when my cell phone rings during work, it is Wade, and when it isn't I begin to worry. Today I missed a call from my father, John. I refer to him as Daddy. (For anyone wondering - the guy I call "Dad" is my step-dad, George.) I called Daddy a few days ago because when I was sick last week I kept dreaming that he was dead and no one told me. I began to worry so I thought I would be the nice guy and give him a call. He is doing good. Just complains about how much gas costs and that he can't afford to go anywhere. During the call he mentions that he was planning on calling me because he wanted Brookshire's to donate stuff for the Fishing Tournament that he is hosting for the youth of his church. So, I explain to him the donation process of BGC. Anyone wanting a donation has to submit it in writing. I also told him that mentioning me would not get him anywhere. SO he calls the donation person and talks to her (she happens to sit a few cubes away from me - so I know her). She told me that he talked about how sweet I was and how I was his baby - blah, blah, blah... that is so not him - at least not the him I know. I love him because he is my father. But ever since the whole falling out a few years ago I just can't seem to let myself believe that he is a great guy. I used to always think that I was the only one who really knew him that everyone else just didn't love him the way I did so they just didn't understand. THAT was until the whole "disowning" of me. That time was so awful for me. He told me that he wanted everything he had ever given me - including all of the love that he or anyone in his family had ever give me. He told me he wanted his name back - that I could just go by Samantha. Things have gotten better since then but I don't think it will ever go back to the way it was. I really hope he tells me the "family secret" before he passes, because he is the only one left from that part of my heritage.

Ok... now that I have completely gone off into left field... the nice surprise.
I tried to call Daddy back after the missed call but he didn't answer so I checked my voicemail. He had left me a message saying "I need your email address, there is something in the Marshall Newspaper that is really going to surprise you, but I can only send it to you on email." So, I get online and go to http://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/ and see that there is a little tiny picture of my Aunt Fish and my Mamaw under the headline "Inside Marshall - Marshall's Past"
The picture that made me smile...

Aunt Fish is on the left in the back row. Mamaw is on the right in the front row.

0 comments: